Sunday, December 23, 2012

Yoda! That Old Frog!

I want to abuse Yoda a little more roundly, but I find I cannot. Words are hurtful things. But see, the dude said 'do or do not, there is no try', providing a super easy excuse for those who don't want to try. If there is no in between, then there is no failure.

Though maybe I'm being unfair to Yoda. He was only trying to encourage a boy to give something his best shot. Though he was using the word 'try' as somehow telling yourself that failure is acceptable. Is that really so bad? What is life but a series of tries? You find some things you can really make a go of, and you get to higher heights with them, but if you hadn't tried, where would you be? If you hadn't dipped your toe in the shallow end when you were afraid of the deep, would you ever have learnt to swim?

Personally, I think that trying is the most wonderful thing you can do for yourself. It opens you up to new experiences and new worlds, and it opens up parts of you, that you may never have known you had. I love trying new stuff, and my plan is to do something new regularly, just so I know how it works for me. I've learnt that I love swimming and my body's good at it. I'm mostly a self taught swimmer, but now I have pretty good technique, purely because I kept trying. I've learnt that I'm good at languages, I like learning and I love communicating, so it's been fun. Also, being in a class with other novice learners is wonderful, similar interests, similar levels of ability, camaraderie. I think I also like teaching, but that's one for the future. More immediately, I want to learn music again, probably the guitar because I still don't have room for a piano/keyboard, and scuba diving. Definitely scuba diving.

Yoda,  somethings I may do, somethings I may do not, but I will sure as hell try.

No comments: