Thursday, November 08, 2012

What is Wrong with TV Today

I'm saying 'today' but what I really mean, is in the age when broadcasting companies seem to have forgotten that they are also held to some standards. When TV was invented, the first uses were to share information, like the news, or like shows on science or the natural world etc. But people, being people, they quickly got bored, so TV became entertainment. Anything wrong with that? No, not at all. But what I now take objection to is what is considered entertaining, and who is watching it.

TV came into my life in my teenage years, when I was impressionable and didn't really have opinions of my own. I was also just beginning to despise my parents (something I've now grown out of) so obviously nothing they said was any good. What I did have though, was TV programming that had people who tried to do the right thing. Where the characters acted on their best impulses rather than their worst ones, where the moral was that if you do the right thing, everything always works out. Heck, where there was a moral!

Maybe that kind of TV is now seen as boring, but trust me, there are a lot more impressionable children watching TV now than there were back then, and maybe they don't have good examples in their daily lives. Maybe they don't have access to literature, where you can see characters in stories work out these things and learn from them, and maybe they deserve this insight?

No comments: