Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Inside a Lamb ... or was it a Cow?

I now own a leather jacket that I promise to love and cherish until death parts me from it. It is soft and supple and tan and... beautiful. I feel, at some level, sad that it was an animal that is no more, but I also feel glad that it is now mine, and how wonderful it is to have this beautiful thing to keep the wind away from me. My time in DC is coming to an end and I've to contemplate packing. Thanks to the new jacket, I now can send back several other bulky jackets with my parents who are off 10 days before me.

My dear animal that died so I could find this jacket, thank you. I see you!

I'm also writing now, to remind myself that I see me. Whatever happens to me, around me and for me, I need to remember it is who I am on the inside that counts. Beauty, for the world, is a flexible concept. A beautiful person though, is one who is always appreciated and yes, even loved.

I can accept that I am and probably always will be a romantic. I am a sucker for a happy ending and I believe in true love and mush. I don't think I want to change that. What I do want to remember though, is that havng or not having that in my life doesn't make me any more or less of a person. Or even a less beautiful person. Yes, there is the yearning to be able to attract that kind of love and longing, but it's ok. If it's not for me, it's ok.

What is for me is knowing that I am and want to remain a good person. I want to remain kind and helpful, looking at the bright side of things, believing the best of people and situations. I want to keep learning and trying to do the right thing. I want to be the best person I can be in this life, to cause the least hurt and pain, and be the most support that I can be. And my face and figure are coincidenes of genetics which I can work to keep healthy, but will not attract lasting love or friendship the way my personality will.

No comments: