Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Mush

I've been reading several 'what my man has done for me' lists and thought I should do him some justice. I've vented several times about when he's let me down or not done what I wanted him to do or some such. Time to talk about what he does. Effortlessly.

I won't put down a list with numbers, because every day has something more/new. I think the biggest thing he does is to let me be me. He occasionally asks for things that I'm not completely comfortable with, but by and large, I don't have to watch what I say/eat/wear/cook/do. This is a great relief to me, but I guess I've known this all along. With SO, I get to have my own mind and opinions and even life. Of course, with this is the unconditional love. He may not like everything I say/eat/wear/do/cook, but he loves me anyway. I could argue that it's mutual, but that's not the point is it?

He takes care of me. In little ways, but still, much care. I only notice when he's not there that laundry piles up a lot and that I'm doing a lot more to keep the house clean and bills paid. He also does the little stuff, like buying things I like, only because I like them. The most recent of these was cocoa powder. He doesn't drink the stuff at all and in an attempt at frugality I bought Cadbury's. I much prefer the Hersheys, one box of Hershey's had gotten over and I didn't buy another because I had Cadbury's. He bought Hershey's and didn't tell me :) just so I'd be surprised when I drank milk one morning. It took me 3 weeks to find it, but turned to mush when I did.

He brings a lot of stability to 'us'. In my professional life, I come across as calm and unruffled. In my truly personal life, I'm not like that. I guess I've to work this one out. I don't lose it in times of crisis, but I'm not generally calm. I'm quick to anger and in my personal space, I'm vicious and take snap decisions. I've left shops because I wasn't served before someone else who came after me and stuff like that. SO's not like that, so when we're together, we wait a little longer before storming off. As a result, I'm a lot nicer and a lot less hot-headed. I still get angry easily, but I don't hurt myself because of it. I often hurt him though ;)

He's also taught me a lot about myself and taught me that it's ok to be completely different from what I am.

I guess I'm writing all this because I feel it now and want to remember this and more. I know that over the years there will be more. There will also be times when I think of all the times he didn't hold my hand or buy me flowers, and as long as I also remember cocoa, we're good.

2 comments:

Miss M said...

We need more of these posts like this one...so as to NOT scare the single ones away from marriage. ;)

Touchwood for you!

First time here. :)
BTW, love your blog title!

Me said...

I agree with Miss M. I am so guilty of not stopping appreciating my man every now and then.
Thanks - will go do some appreciating right now :)