Thursday, July 31, 2014

Love or Something Like It

I may have posted something about when I was in school, and a friend asked me, what love feels like. We were 16-17 year-olds, in the throes of crushes and first relationships. I had crushes, and only knew those as 'love'. So my answer was that when you see that 'someone', it kind of takes your breath away. You gasp a little.

Now, I am more than double that age, and I understand there is a lot more to this emotion, now I would probably say it has to do with knowing someone has your back and you have theirs. That you'll do whatever it takes to give them what they want, that you want to see them smile, and seeing them smile makes you smile. And I also understand that there's intense attraction. The kind that takes your breath away.

What I've not experienced enough (or not noticed) is another person being attracted to me. I think a lot of it has to do with the way I present myself, in the sense that I'm not 'out there'. It is easier for people to like me, than to 'fall for' me. And for the most part, I'm ok with that. Once in a while it would be nice to feel that someone is losing his breath because of me. That he's flustered when he's talking to me because he wants to make a good impression, and that there's a warmth in his eyes that is only for me.

This love, or rather, this attraction, is what is in movies. The intense attraction that two people who do not know each other feel, inexplicable, but strong.

As I grow older, I am quite impressed by some movies/stories and the acting, the ability of the actors to show us what the characters are feeling. And it turns out that in the 1990s, Shahrukh Khan worked hard at this. His image of a romantic hero was well deserved at that time. Now, increasingly, it feels like he's sleepwalking through roles. I guess this has something to do with watching Dilwale Dulhaniya, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and K3G in the space of a week.

No comments: