Thursday, May 24, 2012

Ongoing Learning


I was not an organized child, I grew up trying to be careful and now, rarely misplace keys, wallets, phones etc. In short, I thought I had 'become' careful. Of late, I'm learning that I am not. I had forgotten to do a couple of important things at work, I've lost some tax papers, and I'm really angry with myself. I had thought (and I still hope this is true) that I would not lose anything important. That I'd find stuff when I need it, though it may not always be in the most logical or even accessible place. And yet, here I am. I've lost records of my having filed tax returns for 3 years. I had these original acknowledgements, and I have lost them. I feel extremely foolish and angry. I have got to be smarter about this stuff. Keeping track of electricity bills and credit card statements (which I actually have) is one thing, but keeping track of personal documentation (i.d. proof, tax filings, voters registration etc.) is much more important and I've been to lax about these. Something was bound to give, and something has. Again, I'm still hopeful that the papers are in some non-logical, difficult to access place (mainly because I rarely throw things) but I'll now have to plan how to manage this going forward. Given that more and more documents are now in electronic form, I'll have to do some serious thinking.

No comments: